REQUEST A QUOTE
COMMERCIAL PRINT IN ACTION
SINGLES, 4-PAGERS & 6-PAGERS
ABOUT OUR ACCOUNT MANAGERS
LATEST USPS INFO
POST MAIL FILES TO HESS FTP
MAILING AND DISTRIBUTION
BINDING AND FULFILLMENT
What is the process for opening a permit to mail with Hess?,
The links below will walk you through the process. Couple of notes:
Fee’s - $225 to open and $225/year
If you are co-mailing you must have a CAPs account
Opening a Standard Permit
Opening a Periodical Permit
What are my options for cleaning my list? ,
is one of the easiest ways to save on direct mail postage. Data hygiene consists of reviewing your list using specific filters and criteria to remove duplicate entries, incomplete and undeliverable addresses, and deceased contacts. In this case, you are removing the mail pieces that are either redundant or would not reach a viable prospect. Many tools are available to compare your list against national and proprietary databases so you can remove the entries in your list that will not reach a potential customer. Read through our
List Service and Details Manual
What is the difference between a Consumer list, B2B list, and Occupant List? ,
Consumer Lists – Generally considered lists of direct customers. These are list of names and addresses that have likely been targeted by income, previous purchases, age, gender, etc.
Business to Business lists – As it implies these are lists of businesses you are targeting. Keep in mind that your postal qualification is less dense than a consumer list and therefore 100k list to consumers is less postage than the same mailing of 100k to businesses.
Occupant list – these lists target residences rather than individuals. You have likely heard the term Saturation or Every Door Direct Mail - these are basically saturated occupant lists.
What kind of delivery can I expect from my mailing?,
First Class Mail
– 2 to 3 days in the Continental US
– 3 to 5 days
– 5-10 Days
(includes Parcels and bound printed matter)
Typically letters are delivered between seven and 10 days depending on country of destination, Priority Mail parcels will take 10 to 15 days and Parcel Post takes about 24 days according to MPSA (Military Postal Service Agency) officials.
What types of postal discounts can I expect?,
That is all dependent on what you are mailing. Some common discounts:
(automatic with all of HPS automation mailings)
: mailings with customer paid shipments to larger postal distribution centers, such as Network Distribution Centers (NDC). Or Sectional Center Facilities (SCF), even DDU (Direct Delivery Units) for Flats.
(see our Co-mail section)
Special offers from the USPS
Walk Sequence rates
– For larger mailings HPS can take the Carrier Route portion of your list and have the walk sequence number appended. This allows you to qualify for High Density and Saturation Carrier Route rates. Combined with Drop Shipping, these are the lowest rates offered by the USPS (next to Non-Profit).
Note: There are charges to have this append done.
How much will my postage be? ,
Postage costs are dependent upon the size; weight and thickness of your printed piece, as well as the class of service you choose (First Class Presorted, Standard, or Nonprofit). Please contact our team to get an estimated postage amount for your mailing project.
Does Hess Print Solutions sell mailing lists?,
No. However, your HPS sales rep can guide you to some List brokers – who can sell you targeted lists. Keep in mind that with Occupant lists, or saturation mailings, you only need a list of zip codes (and CRRTS if you wish). HPS can look-up the current quantity of business and consumers within these zips for you, rather than a list purchase.
If I am mailing my piece, what should I consider during the design stage?,
– for flats or letters there are precise placement rules to qualify for the coveted automation rates.
Size and Weight
- example: for Flat standard mailings the postal rate is the same up to 3.3 oz, after that a pc + Lb rate is attached. Further, for mailings over 16oz you fall into a whole new category. Example2: a catalog under ¾” thick still qualifies for flat rates, but over that spine size and you are into parcel categories (more expensive).
– When the USPS processes mail through their Flat Sorting Machines they sometimes pickup the return address, rather than the delivery address. This is called Loop Mail (because the USPS directs the mail right back to the return address). While rare, it does happen. To prevent – consider using a non-automation font for the return address portion. You can still use your regular logo – just consider adjusting the font for the return address.
Aspect Ratio (letters)
– for letter mailings the better rates are automation. While you can mail a piece that is “square” it will fall under the more expensive non-machine able. To prevent – divide the length by the height. If the result is greater than or equal to 1.3 or less than or equal to 2.5 you are fine.
Deflection (droop factor) Flats
– for flats, how “flimsy” the piece is can determine if it can run on their equipment. The thinner the piece the flimsier.
Flat Mailer Deflection Standards
Can I mail at non-profit rates?,
If you have a nonprofit authorization number from the post office then you are approved to mail at nonprofit rates. Approval from the IRS as a nonprofit organization (501 c3 status) does
allow you to mail at nonprofit rates. The post office requires an application to be completed and reviewed prior to nonprofit status being awarded through the United States Postal Service.
Hess Print Solutions has a team of Mail Piece Design analysts and Logistics experts to assist you with your mailing and transportation questions.